Havurah Shalom is located at 825 NW 18th Ave, Portland, between NW Johnson and NW Kearney. Our community is affiliated with Reconstructionist Judaism, a progressive approach to Jewish life that integrates a deep respect for traditional Judaism with the insights and ideas of contemporary social, intellectual and spiritual life. (Scroll down to see how you can take public transportation to Havurah.)
A dynamic community of people dedicated to diversity in Jewish religious expression, Havurah was founded in 1978. We believe that each individual can make a personal connection with Judaism. We are a participatory congregation. While we have a wonderful rabbi, educator, and administrative staff, members do much of the work. We believe this makes for a richer individual experience, deepens family relationships, and creates a stronger, more intertwined community.
Havurah Shalom aims to create identification with Judaism through participation in shared religious and educational experiences. We foster a creative and innovative religious atmosphere in keeping with Jewish traditions and ethics. Each member has the opportunity for equal participation in determining the direction and goals of the community.
Since parking spaces are limited near Havurah, people are encouraged to take public transportation when possible.
These streetcar stops are near Havurah Shalom:
- East-bound stop on the North-South line is at NW Lovejoy and 18th Ave.
- West-bound stop on the North-South line is at NW 18th Ave and Northrop.
These bus stops are near Havurah:
- East-bound stop for Bus #77 is at NW Everett and 19th Ave.
- West-bound stops for Bus #77 are at NW Glisan and 19th Ave and NW Glisan and 16th Ave.
These links provide helpful information about timing:
Directions to Havurah's Cemetery
Directions from downtown Portland to our cemetery, which is a section of the Jones Cemetery at 5656 SW Humphrey Blvd:
- Take Highway 26 West toward Beaverton.
- Take the Sylvan Exit.
- Turn left at the light at the top of the exit ramp and cross over the freeway.
- Turn left at the second light onto SW Humphrey Blvd.
- Turn right onto SW Hewett.
- Take an immediate left into the parking lot of the Vineyard Church. As you drive up through the parking lot, the cemetery entrance will be straight ahead.
- Park in the church parking lot (except on Sunday mornings), and proceed on foot into the cemetery.
- Continue up the paved path toward the circular drive to the right. The oldest section of Havurah's cemetery is just beyond the circular drive, marked by hedges along the left and back and a wire fence on the right.