Shabbat School Grades K-6
Shabbat School, Grades K-6
Our cooperative Shabbat School is one component of the Havurah Shalom community and of Jewish living. Over time, our experiences in Shabbat School are complemented by celebrating holidays and life-cycle milestones, tikkun olam (repair of the world), tefillah (prayer/reflection), and by bringing Jewish values into our daily life.
Havurah Shalom Shabbat School is for member families with children in grades K-6, and meets approximately 17 Saturday afternoons throughout the school year from 3:00 to 5:15 pm. With the help of our education staff, parents work together in teams to plan and implement the curriculum and community building activities for their child’s grade.
Each teaching team is responsible for planning and implementing four sessions. In addition to giving our children a basis for Jewish learning, Shabbat School fosters a strong sense of community among families. Many parents feel that they, too, enhance their knowledge about and connection to Judaism through the Shabbat School experience. All levels of experience and knowledge are welcome in our Shabbat School.
Schedules, Forms & Other Resources
The goals of the Havurah's Shabbat School are to:
• Develop and/or deepen our enthusiasm for Jewish learning and living.
• Embrace the Jewish values of study, social justice, celebration in home and synagogue, and participation in life cycle events.
• Appreciate and rely upon Jewish values as a guide to moral and responsible decision making for ourselves and our community.
• Engage substantively with Jewish tradition and deepen our attachment to our community.
It is our hope that the Shabbat School experience, in concert with home and community and Jewish involvement, will facilitate these long-term outcomes:
• Children will build the beginning of a foundation for lifelong Jewish learning and engagement.
• Parents and children will be drawn into a warm and caring Jewish community that will enhance our Jewish living.
Please see the Havurah Shalom Shabbat School Parent Handbook for detailed information about the Shabbat School structure, parent-teaching, and curriculum.
If you are interested in our Shabbat School model for your family, please contact Deborah Eisenbach-Budner, Havurah Shalom Education Director.
Because we begin our yearly cycle with an all-parent Shabbat School Summit planning session in May, please contact Havurah in the Spring prior to the beginning of the school year you are considering.