Why Give Back to the Future?
Give Back to the Future! is Havurah Shalom's campaign to endow our community's future. Read Margie Rosenthal's Rosh Hashanah explanation here. These Havurah members explain why they want to give back to the future of Havurah. Click on the images below to hear what they have to say.
Click the Gold Button Below to Give Back to Our Future!
The first 135 donors have pledged $285,235 toward our goal of $360,000 to honor Rabbi Joey on his retirement. Expect to be contacted in the next weeks by a fellow Havurahnik/Give Back to the Future! solicitor, asking you to donate online or by mail. Click here for a full progress report.
Why an Endowment?
An endowment is an investment fund set up by a nonprofit institution such as Havurah Shalom in which regular withdrawals from the invested capital are used for ongoing operations or other specified purposes.
Our voluntary dues can neither provide for nor sustain everything that makes Havurah Shalom irreplaceably valuable to us. Havurah is and must remain a congregation
- in which each family pays according to what it decides it can afford;
- that welcomes Jews of every background and orientation, and members' non-Jewish partners;
- that resounds with inspiring music, traditional and new;
- with a rabbi and educator who teach and support us to that we can explore and renew Judaism;
- in which we take Judaism into our own hands, learning and teaching Jewish ideas and traditions to our children and grandchildren, at home, in Shabbat School, and through Havurah events;
- and that affirms Tikkun Olam as a key way to bring our Judaism into the world.
We're launching the endowment now in honor of Rabbi Joey Wolf. Our goal is to raise at least $180,000 in this first stage, on or before May 2017, when Rabbi Joey will retire and Havurah will be preparing for a new rabbi. This campaign will lay the groundwork for an endowment and a planned giving program to insure Havurah Shalom remains open, and open to all, from generation to generation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow: The Havurah Shalom Story
Yesterday: Three decades ago, Havurah began as a community of thirty seeking a participatory, inclusive, hands-on and freshly traditional re-engagement with Judaism. Here Jews, including those with non-Jewish partners, could seek their roots, raise their children together, discover intentional spirituality, and engage in social action in a Jewish context. Here, twenty years ago, Havurahniks raised over $2 million for our building, creating an even deeper sense of community.
Today: Havurah Shalom, now 365+ families strong, is a participatory, Reconstructonist Jewish community housed in a beautiful, unpretentious shul. Warm, supportive, connecting and re-connecting with each other and our Jewish roots, we offer diverse services and foster a rich community and spiritual life as well as Jewish education, Jewish music, cultural programming, and a religious foundation for Tikkun Olam.
Tomorrow: Havurah Shalom strides into the future with our Give Back to the Future! campaign. We remain committed to a culture that innovates, adapting to the 21st century’s challenges for Judaism and the Jewish community.
Celebrate the Gifts to Us of Rabbi Joey Wolf
The first stage of Give Back to the Future! will celebrate Rabbi Joey Wolf’s 30 years of generous gifts to the Havurah Shalom community:
- Learned and inspiring teacher
- Spiritual leader
- Community visionary who has welcomed innovation and intention in our religious practices
- Comforter in times of need
- Leader of our commitment to Tikkun Olam
Rabbi Joey has given to Havurah Shalom with great energy and a boundless spirit. In May 2016, he was chosen by Forward as one of America's Most Inspiring Rabbis. Now, let us mark and celebrate the significance of his sustained and dedicated work by seeding the first stage of Havurah Shalom’s endowment in honor of Rabbi Joey Wolf. Read Rabbi Joey's reflections about his years at Havurah here.
How Does "Give Back to the Future!" Work?
- You’ll hear regularly about Give Back to the Future! through our weekly emails, Hakol, and announcements at all Havurah gatherings.
- We are holding neighborhood Give Back to the Future! get-togethers at which Havurahniks talk about what our community means to them and how an endowment will insure its future.
- Havurah members will pay personal visits to everyone in the community to share each person’s experiences about Havurah’s gifts to him or her and to offer guidance and support about ways to participate in Havurah’s endowment.
- This special Give Back to the Future! section of the Havurah Shalom website features information about the campaign, ways to make endowment and estate gifts, and testimonials by Havurah members about why they joined Havurah and what our community has given them.